03 March 2010

Best of 2010...Volume One

As a way to keep the creative-writer part of my brain from complete atrophy, I'm going to do my award-winning "Favorite Albums" thingy a little different this year. Toward the beginning of each month, I'll post my favorite album(s) of the preceding month. Without further adieu...

January 2010
I guess the popular thing is to vote for the Magnetic Fields, but honestly, I haven't heard it yet. Even if I had, I guarantee it wouldn't top "Legion of Doom vs. Triune".

http://www.the-legion-of-doom.com

To quote Legion of Doom's website, "strange, dark and densely layered, this is not a typical hip-hop record." That couldn't be more accurate. There is a lot going on musically (it ain't a Lil Wayne album, let's put it that way). Triune (who I was only partially aware of) hits a lyrical home run (more Common/NOE than Weezy or Jeezy). Sadly, it is only available via digital download (I'm still an old school, "like to open the album and flip through the liner notes and absorb the artwork" kinda guy and I hope that never changes).
Check out: Cipher Sounds, Inner-City Renewal Program, This is Your Police Department.

No comments: